About Our School

Welcome to Dunnottar School. The school roll for session 2014-15 is 219 pupils and we have ten primary classes this year. We have a Nursery based on the Carronhill campus which can take up to 20 children in each of our 2 sessions per day. The nursery pupils visit the school as often as possible.

The first Dunnottar School was in the existence at the end of the 17th Century and the second from 1853-1889.The decision to build a new school was taken by the Dunnottar School Board in 1886, and the site chosen was the garden of the “Dominie”: the name then given to the master in charge. This put the present school across the other side of the High Street, almost directly opposite the second school, which, until its demolition in 1984, had been used by the pupils for physical education, and as a Drill Hall by the Army and latterly by the District Council as a store.

The school is situated in the old part of Stonehaven. It serves the children from the old town of Stonehaven and the rural areas around Stonehaven. The Glenury and Braehead estates are included in our zoned area.

Community links are a valued part of school life. Dunnottar School has a very supportive Parent Council and an extremely active and enthusiastic Parent Teacher Association (PTA). These groups support improvement activities and raise additional funds to provide many extras for the pupils in the nursery and school.

We offer many opportunities for our learners to enjoy first-hand experiences outdoors. Such experiences motivate our children to become successful learners and to develop as healthy, confident, enterprising and responsible citizens. We regularly visit Dunnottar Woods, Mineralwell Park, the school’s allotment next to Baird Park, the beach and Stonehaven harbour.

We are a “Rights Respecting School” and are very proud to have been reaccredited at Level 2 in June 2014. You can read our assessment report here.

If you would like to arrange a visit to the school, or have any questions, please contact the school office on 01569 762414.


This school is part of Aberdeenshire council